If you want to lose weight or improve your physical fitness, you may want to think about metabolic testing. At EPIC Primary Care, you can get a cost effective metabolism test that gives reliable results.
What is Metabolic Testing?
It is the method of measuring the rate of oxygen use and calorie burning by your body during a) rest, or b) certain activities. These are the three main types of tests performed:
- Resting Metabolic Rate: Any type of metabolic test first measures the RMR, or how many calories you burn when you’re resting.
- VO2 Max: You may need to test your metabolic rate at different stages, and this is called a maximum volume of oxygen test or aerobic capacity test. This provides information regarding the levels of intensity at which your body utilizes oxygen efficiently
- Lactate Threshold test: this is mainly used for athletes to get information about the level of intensity when the body cannot supply sufficient oxygen to support performance; at this level, fatigue begins to set in and the production of lactate is at its peak.
The test results are used to craft a tailor-made weight loss or fitness program that aims at boosting your individual metabolic profile, and helps you to get fitter.
The Resting Metabolic Rate Test
This is a simple test, and you have nothing to worry about. There are different types of resting metabolic tests you should know about.
Types of RMR Tests:
- The most highly acknowledged test is the direct calorimetry test. The direct calorimeter is a huge chamber that is air-tight and insulated. The individual undergoing the test is required to spend an hour inside the chamber with little movement. The machine measures the heat released by your body, including exhaled carbon dioxide and vapors, and a resting metabolic rate is arrived at based on those numbers.
- Indirect Calorimetry is more widely used and practical, and there are different devices that can be used for measurement. It measures the volume of oxygen consumed by your body and compares it to the volume of carbon dioxide exhaled while you’re resting. These figures are applied to a formula to calculate how many calories you burn when you’re resting.
How Does the Resting Metabolic Test Work?
It is advised that you refrain from eating, consuming any stimulant like caffeine, or working out for a minimum of three to four hours prior to the test. Usually, these tests are performed early in the morning.
When you arrive at EPIC Primary Care for your test, you’ll first be asked to rest, after which we will give you a mask or mouthpiece to breathe in while you’re comfortably seated or lying down. You may need to breathe normally for about 15 to 20 minutes, and the volume of carbon dioxide expired by you is measured. At the end of the test, our physiologist will use the formula to determine your RMR, or number of calories you burn when your body is resting.
If you need to undergo the VO2 max or lactate threshold test, it will be performed according to your background or choice of activity. For example, if you’re a cyclist, then the test may be performed on a bike. Normally a treadmill is used for most tests, while you’re breathing into a mask. The speed and incline of the treadmill are gradually increased up to the point that you’re unable to continue or the physiologist determines that it is time to end the procedure. The carbon dioxide volume you expire at each phase of the activity is measured to assess your body’s ability to burn calories at different levels of intensity.
Metabolism Test for Weight Loss
People may want to undergo metabolic testing for numerous reasons – weight loss is one of the main reasons, as it can give valuable insights.
After checking your RMR and your daily routine and activity, your trainer can arrive at the amount of calories you burn while you’re resting. You will also know how the body burns calories during physical activity. Taking both these figures will help you regulate your food intake and create a workout schedule.
Like, if you come to know that to burn the calories in your favorite food, you need 3 hours (while inactive) you may be inclined to think before eating that the next time. Knowing that a whole hour is needed to burn the calories in your favorite sugary drink could encourage you to switch to water instead.
You will also learn the heart rate range that is most effective for your body to burn fat. And you may discover the heart rate limit when your body stops burning fat as fuel. Lastly, you’ll learn how to train to improve your body’s ability to burn fat more effectively.
At EPIC Primary Care we help people make better, smarter choices, every single day. Equipped with knowledge, technology, state-of the-art medical equipment and total commitment to our patients, we deliver personalized, superior quality healthcare to all our patients. Are you looking to lose weight in a healthy way? Do you want to improve your physical fitness? If so,
Schedule an appointment for your Metabolic Test Now!
Do you have questions and something to say about this post? Would you like to share your experience or story with us? Do drop it in the comments below.
Also view our presentation on Weight Loss Program that Works.