While diabetes can never be reversed, it can either be prevented or controlled through medication and lifestyle modification. People with diabetes or pre-diabetes need to incorporate a healthy diet and regular exercise into their lifestyle, along with regularly scheduled check-ups with an EPIC Health provider.
Whether you are pre-diabetic or have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, incorporating the following changes in your life can help with diabetes prevention.
Watch your weight
Excess weight is the single largest factor behind Type 2 diabetes. In fact, being overweight puts you at the risk of developing diabetes by 20 to 40 times more than others. Exercise regularly; making your muscles work harder improves their ability to use insulin and absorb glucose. So, join a gym, go for brisk walks as often as possible, or take some fitness classes online to help bring your weight well within the ideal range. In fact, studies show that losing 7%-10% weight can reduce your risk of developing diabetes by half.
At EPIC Health, we offer weight management programs to help you reach your weight loss goals. We understand that everyone is different, and so are their needs. That’s why, keeping your fitness goals and health conditions in mind, your EPIC Health Team can design a personalized weight loss program to help you monitor and manage your weight loss safely and healthily.
Refine your diet
Always choosing processed food, carbonated drinks, and other unhealthy food choices puts you at an increased risk of developing diabetes. So, swap those unhealthy eating habits with healthy substitutes:
- Choose whole-grain food products over highly processed carbohydrates.
- Say no to sugary drinks and soda and choose water instead.
- Limit the consumption of fatty red meat and choose whole grains, nuts, poultry, and eggs whenever you can.
- Read labels to look for ‘good’ fats and avoid saturated ‘bad’ fats. You can easily find good fats or polyunsaturated fats in vegetable oils, nuts, and seeds.
- Quit smoking – Smokers are at 50% more risk of developing diabetes than non-smokers.
- Consume alcohol in moderation.
EPIC Health offers nutritional counseling to help you understand how diet and eating habits can have an impact on your health and well-being. EPIC dieticians can create customized diets to help you prevent/control the disease and ensure that you are getting proper nutrition.
Diabetes prevention should focus on care and education
According to statistics, more than 6 million cases of diabetes remain undiagnosed. The main reason behind such a high number is the lack of health education and reluctance to visit a health care provider on a regular basis.
If you have diabetes, a history of diabetes, or if you are mostly inactive and have unhealthy eating habits, it’s critical for you to partner with your EPIC Health provider and get regular health check-ups.
Contact your EPIC Health Team today to receive the best diabetes care, education, and treatment. Our integrated Diabetes care team of highly experienced clinicians, exercise physiologists, dietitians, pharmacists, care coordinators, and social workers will help you control your disease and improve diabetes outcomes.
Our primary health care providers and specialized team of doctors can help you:
- Schedule regular blood sugar tests and lab work to keep track of your blood sugar and HbA1C levels
- Monitor your blood pressure, cholesterol, and body fat percentage
- Perform regular urine tests to rule out any chances of kidney disease
- Recommend a healthy meal and activity program to help you stay healthy
- Offer you a personalized treatment plan to help you avoid health-related issues later on.
For more information on diabetes and diet – check out our infographic “Diabetes Diet: Myths and Facts”
Call EPIC Health at (248)-336-4000 or request an appointment online with our health care experts today! We can help you live a Happier, Healthier, and Diabetes-free life.