Thanks to the ever-increasing work pressure and social responsibilities, life is coming fast at us. And it brings along added stress, anxiety, and fear – which impact our mental health.
However, managing your mental health is an extremely important part of overall wellness. Living under constant pressure, we often find it impossible and feel that it’s easier said than done. But, the good news is that managing your mental health is 100% possible.
To stay happy, vibrant, and positive, all you need is some self-disciple and a routine that helps you re-balance yourself whenever you feel stressed and overwhelmed.
Here are 5 tips, along with the do’s and the don’t, that you can practice every day to boost your mental health:
1. Connect with Others
We all need meaningful connections in life. They help to boost our health and mental well-being. Good relationships help us know our self-worth, share our feelings and experiences, as well as give us emotional support when we are feeling low.
So, try to reach out to your loved ones and focus on building stronger relationships.
- Take out time to be with your family
- Try to eat at least one meal with your family
- Socialize with your friends on weekends
- Have lunch with colleagues
- Enjoy a sport with family/ friends
Do not cling to technology in an attempt to stay connected. Instead, plan physical visits and get-togethers for stronger bonds.
2. Take Care of Your Body
“A healthy mind resides in a healthy body.” So, for absolute mental wellness, it is important to stay physically fit too. Not only does it help to enhance your mood, but also enables you to improve your self-esteem.
- Eat healthy, nutritious meals
- Exercise at least half an hour every day, minimum 5 times a week
- Drink plenty of water
- Practice yoga, meditation and deep breathing exercises
- Avoid smoking and drinking
- Enjoy a good night’s sleep – at least 7 hours every night
- Don’t limit yourself to gym sessions to stay active. Instead, enjoy your time out in sun, playing your favorite sport, and making the most of life.
- Don’t indulge in processed junk. They not only harm your body but also lead to stress and anxiety.
3. Indulge in a Hobby
Our hectic work life leaves us with little time for ourself. But self-indulgence is the best way to boost your mental well-being. So, try to sneak out a little time from your hectic schedule and indulge in a hobby. It will help you to boost your self-confidence, build a sense of purpose, and allow you to stay connected with yourself.
- Enjoy your favorite childhood hobby – painting, dancing, or gardening
- Learn a new skill – cooking, playing an instrument or a new sport
- Work on a DIY project – there are lots of inspirations on Pinterest and YouTube
- Don’t stress yourself with something that isn’t your cup of tea. Remember, you are trying to relax, so don’t overburden with yourself some ‘mission impossible’.
4. Break the Monotony
While sticking to a routine helps us to stay at our productive best, it often makes our life monotonous. So, consider a little change in the plan to perk things up. It’s the easiest way to add freshness and vibrancy to life.
- Play a different sport or try a new workout
- Take a different route to work
- Plan a road trip with friends or family
- Try a different cuisine or restaurant
- Take a day off from work
- Again, don’t indulge in anything that makes things extra complicated. When trying something new, simplicity and enjoyment should be the key.
5. Help Others
There’s nothing more relaxing and energizing than helping others. Even a small act of kindness fills you up with strength and positivity. It gives you great peace of mind too. So, whenever possible, reach out to others in your community and extend a helping hand.
- Indulge in community service
- Donate for a cause
- Volunteer in school, hospital or care home
- Participate in charity marathons
Make sure your act of kindness doesn’t put an extra burden on the financial health of your family.
The Bottom Line
While these are some excellent ways to boost your mental health and well-being, don’t hesitate to reach out to experts if things get overwhelming for you.
At EPIC, we have same-day appointments for you and your loved ones! Book Appointment